Some weekends just don't turn out as planned.

On Thursday...

...as Sharon was driving home, she found a little ginger ball of bones that turned out to be a kitten.


Boris, as he is now known, is all spine and ribs and sunburnt face, but not much else. He now lives in our bathroom and is being regularly stuffed silly with food and water and vitamins. His ears and nose, which are badly burnt, are covered in paw paw cream, as is his little neck, which has lost all of its fur.

On Friday...

... our car died. Totally and completely died. After an adventure with towing and many phone calls, we were told our engine needs to be replaced.

 Please note: Not our actual bus! Just a cute, relevant photo :-)

We're now using Sharon's giant school bus and keep getting inspired by the idea of a road trip!

On Saturday...

... a severe storm hit Melbourne. If you didn't see it in the news, here's a great update:


Normally I get very excited by storms. They mean lots of silliness and running around and squealing in the rain. Saturday's storm, however, flooded the Pepperberry & Co. studio. Bad drainage in the building meant that water rushed in at ground level, and the crazy, 10cm large, solid hail stones broke through the roof and flooded us from above. 

We lost quite a bit of stock, particularly paper; our office furniture got soaked; and we are yet to see if all of the machinery (computers, sewing machine, overlocker) that we rescued actually function. Our office kind of ending up looking like the shop they show in the video above.

We moved out of the studio on Sunday, and are currently working from home. Next weekend, we're moving the office into the spare room of our temporary rental property. And then, we'll try to regain some semblance of normality in our now very wet world. 

---

Share/Save/Bookmark

Comments (20)

On March 9, 2010 at 4:34 PM , Beky said...

Excuse my French, but shit. You didn't need this, but then again, not did Melbourne. Brave heart. Keep us posted, and let me know if I can do anything.
Beky xx

 
On March 9, 2010 at 4:58 PM , yardage girl said...

I hear ya .... crap, crap, crap. I've moved out too. Catch you soon I hope. Nic

 
On March 9, 2010 at 5:19 PM , CurlyPops said...

OMG that's horrible. I can't imagine what a mess is now left. Will you still be able to make it on Saturday, or did you lose too much stock?

 
On March 9, 2010 at 5:22 PM , CurlyPops said...

Oh thats such terrible news... I wish there was something I could do to help!
I hope you can still make it on Saturday if you have any undamaged stock left.

 
On March 9, 2010 at 5:31 PM , Nikki said...

Yikes! That really is awful. Hope there's some sort of compensation/insurance available..?

 
On March 9, 2010 at 6:32 PM , Skribenten said...

Halleluja what a weekend! The little one is surely going to get a fine home, and I hope the sunburns will heal.

Do you have insurance to cover the damage of the wet things? Here we have finally been granted with some sun, after almost 3 months of constant freezing cold weather and snow. The first icy winter in 15 years!! I love snow, but now I need to se the signs of spring around me :)

Have a great day
Henriette :))

 
On March 9, 2010 at 6:43 PM , Lou said...

Oh no. So sad about the studio, well and car and everything. Hope things get sorted a bit easier than they should - yuck! All the best.

 
On March 9, 2010 at 9:21 PM , Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

Another addition to the family. I love how you gals always have room for another member of the animal kingdom in need. Boris looks like a beauty.

Very sorry to hear about your studio. I was going to ask you how it was going there, but I guess I know how it is going just now. Hope things improve on the studio front real soon.

 
On March 9, 2010 at 9:25 PM , Cathie said...

oh my goodness!!
I have been thinking of you because you had problems last time with the studio too.
I can't believe it has happened again.
I hope you get things sorted soon.
hugs to you both

 
On March 9, 2010 at 9:45 PM , Mrs Button said...

You poor love! Glad Boris found someone to love him, sad about your flooding and the car, kind of giggling about the thought of a mobile Pepperberry studio in the bus! Hope things dry out and look up soon. Lisa.

 
On March 9, 2010 at 10:04 PM , Tania said...

Holy heck. You guys surely know how to make a weekend happen without the feet touching the ground. Not surprised you were fantasising about a road trip. Hope there's insurance coming to the rescue (can you get insurance for hours slaved - aaarggghh!) and Boris finds his feet.

 
On March 9, 2010 at 10:47 PM , Merry said...

Oh wow...that is terrible about your studio. So sorry. I think Boris has found himself a wonderful home. Pawpaw ointment has got to be the best stuff ever. Hoping things are taking a turn for the better for you all. Thanks so much for visiting my blog and leaving such lovely comments. :-)

 
On March 9, 2010 at 11:04 PM , Anonymous said...

oh Sandra sorry to hear about all your bad luck! Little Boris is a cutie and lucky to have you guys now, hoping things are looking up really soon xxx

 
On March 10, 2010 at 3:28 AM , Emma said...

Oh no! What a week!

(Boris is adorable, though, and I'm so glad he's getting some much-needed love!)

 
On March 10, 2010 at 9:07 AM , melanie said...

what an awful weekend! Glad you found Boris though - I hope he bought you some smiles, and I bet he'll keep on doing it :)

 
On March 10, 2010 at 10:03 AM , ambette said...

Oh crap! I bet that's really thrown a spanner in the works!

I was away for the weekend and was a bit worried I'd come home to a flooded house. So relieved it was all ok.

Hope things are up and running again soon.

 
On March 10, 2010 at 11:34 AM , Gluten Free Store Ltd www.glutenfreestore.co.nz said...

Little Boris couldn't be in better hands. Sorry to hear about the storm and all the damage it has done. Hope the equipment hasnt been damamged. xx

 
On March 10, 2010 at 11:46 AM , Tiges and Weince said...

I am hearing you Sandra. My car got caught in the floods on saturday on Kensington Rd, & I thought I was going to float down the street. Steam was coming out of my vents which I thought was smoke at the time. I am still car less as it was towed away, & it's still waiting to be assesed amongst the hundreds of other cars. AAhhhh mother nature!!

 
On March 10, 2010 at 12:43 PM , Cath @ chunkychooky said...

that sux! I really hope the machine starts working again- poor you!!!!!

 
On March 10, 2010 at 3:34 PM , susanc said...

I'm so sorry about all the damage the storm caused. Wow - that was bad. Hopefully your equipment will be okay.

Little Boris has a great home - he's a lucky little guy! :)