I figure if you're going to read my blog, curiosity may strike and you'll want to know a little bit about me. Just for you, therefore, here is my story-in-a-nutshell!

I was born 24 years' ago to a wonderful mother in the spectacular city of Melbourne. I grew up in a world of my own, reading, crafting, building cubbies and climbing trees. My mother instilled in me the importance of creating handmade, loving presents that celebrated the people around me, which directly resulted in the passion that I have for crafting all things wonderful.

When I was 14, my mother passed away and I was left alone in the world. I spent the next four years being tossed around foster homes, where I experienced things that I would not wish upon my worst enemy. I survived, however, and emerged into the world a stronger, braver and wiser person.

I spent the next few years completing my Degree in Gender and Cultural Studies and travelling the world. I have been fortunate enough to explore some of the world's most bewitching countries- from Belize and Guyana to Iceland and Fiji. I have journeyed through 26 countries thus far, and this year will wondering through a further 3; I can't get enough of the world!

I live in a gorgeous home in the suburbs of Melbourne with my amazing partner, Sharon, and four little critters: Tango, the fabulous little Bichon; Manhattan, the giant cheeky Malamute; Monsieur, the handsome ginger cat; and Coconut, the gorgeous fluffy kitten. These five beings complete my world and ensure that my life is sensational in every way.

I have recently returned to my crafting roots, and am currently spending my days rediscovering old talents whilst also learning new skills. My existing crafty talents include graphic design, digital scrapbooking, chocolate making, papercrafts, and jewellery making; my newest crafty passions are sewing, soft-toy making, bookbinding, patchwork, rubber stamp carving, lip balm making and recycled crafts; and the list of crafts I'd like to try include candle making, soap making, paper making and bottle gardening.

My aim in the near future is to spend my days creating beautiful works of craft and connecting with other crafters. Down the track, I would like to start selling my creations... but let's start small!

Finally, here are some random facts about me:
- I am a sweet-toothed, gourmet-food-obsessed vegan;
- My absolutely favourite colour in the world is purple;
- I speak two languages: English (fluently) and Polish (vaguely!);
- I dream of my own organic veggie garden, moving to Manhattan and living in Paris;
- I am a 100% certified, computer-loving nerd;
- I spent the last three years performing in a circus, and am trained in aerials, contortion and acrobalance;
- I swing dance on Sundays; and
- My favourite view is of a glimmering city skyline.

Now it's your turn: tell me about yourself! What are your crafty passions?

...
Share/Save/Bookmark

Comments (13)

On March 23, 2009 at 6:40 PM , Louise said...

Hi Sandra just thought I would pop in and say hi and welcome to blogland. I'm Louise, the other half of Audrey and Maude who helped you sew your purse together! I'm so glad you have been so inspired by the Show - it was meeting enthusiastic people like yourself that made it so much fun! Good luck with your endeavours and I look forward to checking out all your future projects!

 
On March 24, 2009 at 9:58 AM , Teegs said...

Hey Sandra!
Yay! And welcome! Thanks for coming to the Show and attending our classes, it was great to meet you!
So glad you joined up - and went with Pepperberry, such a rad name, I'm already amazed by your story and we look forward to hopefully reading some elaborations - circus performer and world traveler?? We want more!
xx Teegs

 
On March 25, 2009 at 9:32 AM , Cathy said...

HI Sandra, it was a delight to meet you at the Show. You were the best student I could ever have asked for - I thoroughly enjoyed that class. I think you have had an amazing life - you have come so far. I am so glad that you have started this blog - I think blogging is so healing and so is sewing. It is what got me out of the mess my life was in. The blogging community will inspire you so much as they are so caring with their skills and ideas. I so look forward to hearing more about your amazing life and the journey that is ahead of you.

Take Care
Cathyx

 
On April 5, 2009 at 2:44 PM , XUE said...

Hi Sandra,
Welcome to blogging & sewing! I'm writing to you from Tokyo, our latest homeland after 18 years of moving around in a few counties. I am Chinese (but not from China), my husband is German. We met in Shanghai, married in Manhattan, our son was born in Hongkong & our daughter in Singapore. My background is in art. I have not been in a foster home but was abandoned at 4 days old. I love to craft. - xue

 
On April 14, 2009 at 2:58 PM , Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Very cool! I'm a vegetarian, gardening obsessed, computer loving, dance lover who is consumed with craft blogs!

 
On April 20, 2009 at 12:58 PM , Ange Moore said...

Just discovered your blog - and love finding out a bit more about you! My favourite colour is also purple and I'm pretty much a sweet-tooth too. Good luck with the crafting - I'm a chronic starter of all things crafty and have stuff stashed around my house and I just need to try new things all the time. I stitch, sew, make paper, scrapbook, knit and have just started my first quilt and my next desire is to learn to crochet. Unfortunately I don't have muh time for myself as my two kids rarely sleep during the day and when nightime swings around I'm ready for bed.

Great to meet you via cyberspace and look forward to seeing all your beautiful projects!

Ange.

 
On April 21, 2009 at 12:48 PM , Karin said...

Hi Sandra,
I just stumbled across your blog and love your story. I also live in Melbourne, have grown up here and LOVE it. I have a passion for illustrating and crafting and like you, am experimenting with a whole bunch of different things!

My parents are from Hong Kong and am thankful for their courage to move to Australia and set up a new life for us with little money, little grasp of English and no friends.

Take care!

 
On April 22, 2009 at 12:38 PM , Dorinda said...

Thanks for visiting my blog; it is nice to meet you. I’m also a vegetarian and love to garden. Very cute pets!
Dorinda

 
On May 2, 2009 at 11:31 PM , Leaves of the family tree said...

Hi Sandra
You have the best 'about me' I've read. What an amazing life alreay.
Hope you took lots of photos at the market. Really enjoyed it.
p.s tagged you on my melbourne blog roll

 
On September 19, 2009 at 8:11 PM , Ally said...

Greetings,

Thank you so much for commenting on one of the articles posted on our site.

It's how I discovered you & your blog and am very happy to have connected with a new, interesting person.

Cheers to Melbourne & keep in touch!

Ally

 
On November 8, 2009 at 10:44 PM , Tanya said...

Hi Sandra, just checking up on you because you haven't posted for a few weeks, hope you are going okay- I see you are very busy with markets- arrhhh- good luck!

 
On March 6, 2010 at 12:34 AM , raizel said...

Hi! This was the only was I could find to contact you. I just saw a tutorial link you did on attaching snaps. I have been trying to figure out how to do this desperately! The tut is great. But what is that tool you use?? Do you know if you could do it without a tool? you can also reply to me at tziganka13@hotmail.com

Thanks!

 
On July 26, 2010 at 9:29 AM , Anonymous said...

Hey Sandra,
I found your tutorials online and wanted to know if you can tell me where you purchase your fabrics? Thanks so much :)