At the end of last year, I was lucky enough to attend a soap-making workshop at the gorgeous Perfect Potion. In the style of a true crafter, I went out and bought every single ingredient I could ever possibly need to make soap... then stashed it away in my horde and stared lovingly at it for a few months.

Last month, I finally concluded that I wasn't simply lazy- instead, I was intimidated by the soap-making process. And who wouldn't be? There are dangerous chemicals and two heating elements and so much potential for everything to go wrong! It was time to suck it up and use one of my lifelines, so I called in a great crafty friend of mine. We set a date for the Official Soap Making Day, and I let my stash know it was finally going to be used.

Official Soap Making Day arrived, and I carefully unpacked my box of goodies and my instructions. Together, my friend and I decided to create two varieties- a luscious combination of frangipani, Australian red clay and Macadamia Oil, and a delicious concoction of lemon myrtle, Australian green clay and exfoliating sugar beads. We were drooling already!

We carefully followed the instructions, and, with lots of giggling thrown in, managed to produced our first bar of soap. I can't tell you how exciting it was! We whipped up the second batch with ease, then followed our instructions by wrapping our babies up in warm towels and tucking them into bed. Aww!

My friend and I ended up having a fantastic time and creating two gorgeous sets of handmade soaps; the best part, however, was gaining the confidence and the feeling of being able to achieve anything. As with many new crafts, it can be intimidating to start up and give things a go, but you know what? Every talented crafter who is out there selling things that inspire the world started somewhere- and perhaps it was in her kitchen, with a friend, a set of instructions and the courage to give something new a go.

Here's to trying new things... and here's the tutorial to get you started!

P.S. Thank you to all the wonderful people who have left comments- it's made me feel right at home in blogland!

...
Share/Save/Bookmark

Comments (6)

On March 27, 2009 at 11:37 AM , Jodie said...

Now there is one craft I have never tried - but you are right, I have done some crazy crafts with the help of a friend in the kitchen. Sometimes they work and sometimes - abject failure , but we keep coming back for more!!!

 
On March 27, 2009 at 4:42 PM , Cathy said...

I have never tried soap making either, but is something I would love to do (in my spare time). Yes, I started quilting around the kitchen table with friends not really knowing what I was doing, just like you are!

 
On April 5, 2009 at 12:05 AM , A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

My daughter and I tried some soap making last year - heaps of fun - love the fragrances you have selected for yours. We hope to have a go at candle making over the school holidays!

 
On April 5, 2009 at 12:52 AM , Thimbleanna said...

Hello -- Miss Marzie has sent me over. It looks like you're having a great time making all sorts of fun stuff over here. I was amazed at the stuffing for your pincushion -- I needed that little trick when we had a german shepherd -- we had tons of hair to spare. Welcome to Blogland!

 
On April 5, 2009 at 8:09 AM , Jo said...

LOL! at buying all the stuff and then stashing it away. A true crafter indeed.
The soap looks great.

 
On April 11, 2009 at 2:04 PM , Anonymous said...

I often dream of soap making but have never ventured into it!!! I'm off to check out the tutorial now!!