One of my very favourite quotes in the world goes:

'If you think you are too small to make a difference, you've never been in bed with a mosquito'.

It always reminds me that no matter how insignificant it may seem, every little positive action can create an inspiring chain of reaction... well, maybe with the exception of a mosquito bite, which simply creates annoyance and some naughty words!

Whilst the internet is full of wonderful projects that take the concept of turning small things into big ideas to create magic, one in particular caught my attention today- the wonderful idea that is ReKnit


The mother-and-son duo behind the concept take your old, uninspiring sweater, unravel it, then knit a beautiful piece of fashionable wear and post it back to you. Better yet, each month readers get to choose which pattern the team will work on next by voting. 


It's design, creativity, recycling, ingenuity, community participation and fun all in one idea- perfect. But with only 30 items knitted each month, you'd better get that op-shop jumper in to them fast!

Now it's your turn to inspire me! What creative ideas have rocked your socks recently?

---


Share/Save/Bookmark

Comments (4)

On March 2, 2010 at 11:02 PM , Elena said...

I just heard an interview with them on NPR the other day! Here's the link - http://ww.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=124049118 It's actually a mother & son pair :)

 
On March 3, 2010 at 1:07 AM , Thea said...

What a great idea. I'm always excited by anyone that recycles and hand-made to boot. I also like this other French site where you can choose the hat and the grandmother who will knit it for you: http://www.goldenhook.fr/grands-meres.html

 
On March 3, 2010 at 7:34 AM , Merry said...

What a brilliant idea. Thanks for letting us know about them...off to check out their site.

 
On March 3, 2010 at 5:02 PM , Sandra @ Pepperberry & Co. said...

Oh, Elena, how atrociously embarrassing!! I've corrected it now, but what a horribly sexist and gendered assumption to make... particularly considering my gender studies degree :-( Please excuse me while I go hide my head in shame... sigh!!