I was introduced to the world of sewing by a tote bag.

Ok, maybe not just a tote bag, but a tote bag that I was lucky enough to make with the help of the magnificent Cathy of Miss Marzie and Audrey & Maude fame.



I had such fun making this sexy, quick little number that I've been madly collecting tutorials for tote bags ever since. Of course, like with most of my bookmarked tutorials, I still haven't had a chance to make them! I thought I'd share them with you, my dear readers, instead- and perhaps now the pressure will be on for me to make one.

Oh, Fransson! has this whimsical Margaret Sling bag tutorial:


You'll find this rustic apple picking tote tutorial at Purl Bee:

Qamut has this tote tutorial for those of inspired by bold polka:


Grab the tutorial for this two-tone tote at Whispering Pine:


And finally, MmmCrafts has this gorgeous messanger bag tutorial:


I hope you enjoy playing with these super-simple crafty ideas! As always, let me know if you end up making one because I'd most love to see the result.

---

P.S. GIVEAWAY WINNERS!: Thank you to all who entered my Tea Party giveaway and left such amusing and creative comments. I had immense trouble choosing my favourite entry, so with my magical powers, I've deemed that there shall be 6 winners! Lucky Vicki from Sew Useful Designs shall be receiving the Alice in Wonderland Passport Cover, and runners up Kami, Harley Dee, Ange Moore, Calidore, and Lizzie will receive a bookmark made out of the same fabric. Of course, winners may have to wait until I am back in the enchanting land of Oz to get their prizes... but in the meantime, please email me your postal details!


Share/Save/Bookmark

Comments (19)

On July 10, 2009 at 3:50 PM , Cathie said...

thanks for the tut links, they're great!
now will you go & have some relax time!

 
On July 10, 2009 at 6:53 PM , Calidore said...

Ohhhhh I won something. You have made my day. Ekk I'm so excited. Will email you with my snail mail addy. Hope the holiday is going well and you are doing lots of relaxing and getting lots of shopping done.
PS Have made the Margaret Sling bag and it's brilliant. thanks for posting the links for the others. Like you I loooooove bags...vbg.

 
On July 10, 2009 at 7:42 PM , A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Great bag round up Sandra! Hope you are having a fabulous holiday.

 
On July 10, 2009 at 8:27 PM , Ange Moore said...

Wow Sandra - lucky me! I can't wait to see the bookmark once it arrives. Hope you're enjoying yout travels and I love those tote tutes (especially the first one with the pleated front - might have to have a look because I'd like to make a dress with the same pleating at the neckline (one day, if I ever find the time...)

 
On July 11, 2009 at 12:20 AM , Anonymous said...

I made my first tote (which i posted about recently) and am busily making two more. They're my own design (I can't remember the last time I used a pattern for anything), but I do want to try a messenger bag at some point, so I'm bookmarking that tut which I'll probably frankenpattern at some point.

Thanks for the linkies!

xo

 
On July 11, 2009 at 3:30 AM , Harley Dee said...

*squee* I'm doing my happy Alice dance :)

 
On July 11, 2009 at 5:57 AM , Gluten Free Store Ltd www.glutenfreestore.co.nz said...

Hey thanks for the heads up on those totes! You have done all the hard work and given them to us all in one place!! My 21 year old daughter wants another bag, and Im thinking that Oh Fransson bag in a retro fabric. :0)

 
On July 11, 2009 at 8:57 AM , Gay McDonell said...

I'm a big bag fan - thanks for the handy links!

 
On July 11, 2009 at 2:11 PM , Tania said...

I am OBSESSED with totes. I'll challenge you for the Bag Lady title! Spiffy tutorial links - you have the cogs whirring...

 
On July 12, 2009 at 2:48 AM , Kami said...

I am so excited!! I can't believe that I am lucky enough to win something made by you. We just got back from vacation and I am trying to catch up. It is amazing how much laundry accumulates in tiny little suitcases. I think I am finally ready to start playing again. So look for an update from me later today. Have a great one, Kami

 
On July 12, 2009 at 1:40 PM , Tiges and Weince said...

So many to choose from, which to make first mmm? I think I will definitely been having a go at the whimsical sling. That bird fabric is gorgeous too. Thanks for posting all of those Sandra I am really inspired.

 
On July 12, 2009 at 11:05 PM , Maggi said...

What fun bags! Maybe this will help me get on the machine too! lol

Congrats to the winners!

 
On July 13, 2009 at 10:18 AM , Sew Useful Designs said...

Hi there Sandra!

I've been away from blogland for a few days and just catching up - and I just let out a big gasp of "Ahhhh!" as I read that I am the lucky winner of your passport cover! THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH sweetie! {hugs}! xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you also for sharing those fantastic tutorials with us! I have been on a creative frenzy these past few days... sewing and painting...

I hope you are having lots of fun? I was interested to know how you find eating out overseas with having a vegan diet? Are most places (or supermarkets) pretty accommodating? I'm not vegan myself, but it interests me!

Speak to you soon, lots of love! Vikki xoxo

 
On July 13, 2009 at 1:12 PM , Shabby Raggy Roses said...

I've tagged you with an award - see my blog for details!
Best wishes,
Jenelle

 
On July 14, 2009 at 5:29 PM , Anonymous said...

oh, i've just found you via google reader (under recommendations) and am loving your blog lots (and the gorgeous bag!) :)

and you've been to KL (or perhaps you're still there) i see? i grew up there, and i hope you're enjoying yourself in that place i still call home :)

 
On July 15, 2009 at 10:45 PM , Sandrine said...

Thanks Sandra! This linen bag looks sooo great;)

 
On July 16, 2009 at 6:38 AM , Tania - Jet Designs said...

Well you have just found a new addiction by the sounds of it - Well done - your first bag looks great - straight out of a magazine. Good luck with your new pile of to do bags

 
On July 18, 2009 at 12:06 PM , Unknown said...

Congrats to your Tea Party winners!

I really like that first photo! It's kinda artsy and cool!

I wanted to let you know that I'm having a giveaway! Be sure to come on over and join in!

 
On July 31, 2009 at 7:22 PM , Jacinta said...

Yay - thanks for the links. Will definitely bookmark a couple of these too - though time is always the biggest hurdle for me too.
Hope you are both having a lovely time away.