Ok, so I know this is a crafty blog with a slight sewing lean, but I figured that crafters still have to eat- and I have the perfect yummy recipe to share!

Now, as you may know from my introduction-to-me post, I have Polish family roots. What this means is that I cook and eat great food, and a lot of it at that. Some of it is just so divine that it must be shared with the big wide world- like this Polish Cucumber Salad (known as Miseria in Poland).



This is a very simple recipe, and it takes no more than 10 minutes to make. It feeds four as a side, although in my house we could eat a bowl each! I would love to know how you go making it, so make sure to post a comment if you give it a go.

WHAT YOU'LL NEED
1 large Continental Cucumber
1/2 cup of Cream (I used Vegan non-dairy creamer, a mind-blowingly delicious alternative available at Jewish Supermarkets)
1/4 cup of White Vinegar
3 tbsp of Brown Sugar
Salt and Pepper

WHAT TO DO
1. Peel and Slice the Cucumber, then lay it out on a chopping board and sprinkle it with salt and pepper.



2. Put the cream, vinegar, sugar and a dash of salt and pepper into a cup and whip lightly with a fork.



3.Place the cucumbers in a serving bowl and mix the cream combination through.

4. Enjoy and try to share!



---
Share/Save/Bookmark

Comments (11)

On April 14, 2009 at 2:51 PM , Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

This sounds SOOOO good! I'm a huge tzatziki fan so I bet this would be right up my alley.

 
On April 14, 2009 at 3:56 PM , Clair said...

Sounds yummy! I've got a Polish friend I'll try it on. Thanks.

 
On April 14, 2009 at 4:13 PM , Sandra @ Pepperberry & Co. said...

Thanks Rachel and Clair! I hope your Polish friend enjoys it. It always reminds me of my childhood and all of the wonderful food that comes with growing up Polish.

 
On April 14, 2009 at 9:55 PM , Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

mmmmm...that looks so yummy!

 
On April 15, 2009 at 2:00 PM , Jo said...

That looks very unusual, but considering I like all the ingredients on their own, maybe I will have to trust you and give it a go LOL.

PS Good to see you have signed up for the snailblazer swap, they are such fun!!

 
On April 16, 2009 at 6:32 PM , Miss Muggins said...

Yum! That really takes me back to something my nana used to make. She was not Polish, but used lots of vinegar and cream in her cooking! Both my daughters love cucumber, so I am going to give your recipe a try. Congrats on your lovely new blog too

 
On April 20, 2009 at 6:48 AM , Rachel said...

ahhh! So that's why my Grandmother makes that dish! I always knew there was Polish ancestry in my line somewhere but this proves it. Grandma makes hers with mayo instead of cream though. New World twist on an Old World dish.

 
On June 20, 2009 at 5:12 AM , galadier said...

Hi, I'm Polish and I haven't eaten Mizeria with vinegar and brown sugar:) I have to try this!:)

 
On August 25, 2009 at 7:58 AM , Ania ze Wzgórza said...

Me too, I haven`t eaten Mizeria with vinegar and brown sugar, but I`ll try :)
I`m from Poland :)

and you have an amazing blog!!! :)

 
On February 20, 2013 at 3:37 AM , Patti said...

I make a version of this too. We use sour cream. Yes, it is delicious!

 
On April 6, 2015 at 3:39 PM , how to learn Chinese said...


The best place to learn Chinese online is in China. However, we understand that it isn't always possible to move here to study Chinese language. The next best thing is to study with our experienced teachers in a virtual classroom. Online students enjoy the same excellent way of Mandarin Online Course and custom designed courseware that we provide for our face to face clients.