Whew!

After the initial excitement, the incredible amount of work, your wonderful brainstorming, and the last minute panic, the Made 'N Thornbury market is done! I have spent today in a blurry-eyed daze, and have been caught out napping and drooling at some very odd moments. I have survived, though, and it's time to update my faithful readers about the magnificence of yesterday!

Friday night was hectic- I was still sewing, ironing and packing at just before midnight. Luckily, I managed to finish almost everything I had planned to make, with the exception of some bookmarks and wrist cuffs. Expect to see those at the next market, wherever that may be!

After posting about my lack of table, I received some wonderful suggestions about where to find one- but just before I headed out for the hunt, Sharon came home with some borrowed tablecloths and set about building me my very own table from unused floorboards. Within an hour, it was up, and my stall was coming together! Is she ridiculously talented, or what?!

Bright and early on Saturday morning, we headed across to Thornbury with a car full of goodies and rapidly beating hearts. As soon as we arrived, we realised that the screws and brackets that held the table together were lying on our living room floor- of course! Some quick thinking and batch of sticky tape later, our problem was solved and we were good to go.


Now, judging by the amount of emails in my inbox, I'm gathering you'd like to see some pictures of my goodies and stall- so here you go!

First, we propped up the Passport Covers:


Then added some Travel Tissue Bags:


After which the Snap Pouches came out:


Followed by A5 Notebook Covers:


And finally, the Mini Tote Bags!


The stall was complete, and we were ready for our very first market.


Craft enthusiasts began arriving at 10 on the dot, and the rest of the day is a blur. I did so much chatting to so many wonderful people that my head was spinning by the end of the day!

I was surrounded by some of Melbourne's most talented crafters, including Felicity from Flicketty Splits, Cam from Curly Pops, Jennie and Jack from Vestal Vagrant, Louise from Buttons by Lou Lou, Margaret from Konstant Kaos, the gorgeous duo from Finki, the lovely Tania from Cheeky Little Monsters, and the gals from Nettle & Brier.

I also had some marvellous, super-talented visitors, including Nikki from You Sew Girl (who's just posted about my stall and the Notebook Cover she won in my giveaway), Jacinta from One Little Acorn, Nikki from My Black Cardigan, the lovely Tinniegirl, Fiona from SewHum, and Becky from Pivotal Xpressions.

As you can imagine, it was a crafty wonderland filled with endless inspiration!

My first sale came quickly, and I tried very hard to resist the urge to hug the lovely lady who bought the passport cover. Soon, there was another sale, then another, and another- I was on fire! A gift certificate purchase, a custom order, and a wholesale opportunity later, I was on a high like no other. People liked my craft!


Now, it's time for rest. I have a big week coming up- my Etsy shop will be launched on Wednesday; I will be doing a tutorial on how to create gorgeous iron-on labels; I have 3 orders to fill; and I still need to show off all of the gorgeous things I bought at the market!

Zzzzz...

---
Share/Save/Bookmark

Comments (40)

On May 3, 2009 at 9:02 PM , Jennie said...

Congratulations on a successful day! Looking at those notebook covers again I wish I'd bought one of them as well... They'll be on my list for next time I deserve a treat.

I think we both deserve a lass of bubbly after our first market. But perhaps not at 9pm on a Sunday - I'm off to bed to reread Emma for the gazillionth time.

 
On May 3, 2009 at 9:21 PM , Skribenten said...

Dear Dear Sandra. I've been waiting and holding my breath to read, that it all went well. AND CONGRATULATIONS sweetie.

I'm so happy for you. :-) Especially the mini tote bags is so beatiful, i love them. Have a good long sleep you crafty pebberberrygirl.

Hugs from Henriette / Denmark

 
On May 3, 2009 at 9:32 PM , CurlyPops said...

It's amazing just how time flies by when you spend the day chatting about all things crafty!
Congratulations on a fantastic first market.

 
On May 3, 2009 at 9:38 PM , Missie Krissie said...

Wow that all sounds fantastic! So glad it went well for you. I really loved your little snap pouches, they're very cute! Thanks for commenting on my post!

 
On May 3, 2009 at 9:53 PM , Ange Moore said...

Yay! So glad you have finally posted about the super-successful market you had - I can sleep tonight knowing you had a good day (although I assumed you needed a day to recouperate, and wasn't going to start worrying until tomorrow).

And yay to Sharon too - very handy lady to have around!

 
On May 3, 2009 at 9:55 PM , Margaret said...

So great to see you at Thornbury Community Market, your stuff looked great, sorry I couldn't get the chance to chat with you more. I wish you all the best!

 
On May 3, 2009 at 10:02 PM , Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

*squeals* You rock just like we already knew!! Your items and adorable and you are so smart by doing your table like that.

I am so glad that it went so well for you!!

 
On May 3, 2009 at 10:31 PM , Cass said...

Well done Sandra sounds like you had a great day

 
On May 3, 2009 at 11:11 PM , Fiona said...

It all sounds wonderful. You must be pleased.

 
On May 4, 2009 at 12:03 AM , Emmy said...

Yay Sandra! What a wonderful report. Your set up was absolutely gorgeous and I just love those notebook covers. You must be so thrilled. I am still trying to get up the confidence to start an Etsy shop.

 
On May 4, 2009 at 12:21 AM , The Dotty One said...

Hurrah! Congratulations - I'm so glad it was a success (although having seen your sneak peeks I knew it would be!). Time to start planning for the next one! And if you are setting up an etsy shop those of us who can't afford the round the world trip will be able to buy your lovely things too - yay :o) I'm setting my shop up too and it takes a surprisingly long time!! Have a great week. xx

 
On May 4, 2009 at 12:58 AM , Crafterella said...

Congratulations!!! I'm glad to hear you had a good time. I love you signs, they make you booth look so clean and professional. Good luck with your etsy store.

 
On May 4, 2009 at 5:49 AM , Harley Dee said...

Glad the market was a success! Hope you made lots of moolah :D

 
On May 4, 2009 at 7:23 AM , Gluten Free Store Ltd www.glutenfreestore.co.nz said...

Hey Sandra. FANTASTIC!!!. Good on ya!! And Sharon, as my 9 year old son would say... "your'e a legend!" Your stall looked great. It looks really user friendly. Can see goods and prices, and lots of nice things to buy. Have a good rest and gear yourself up for the next round. congrats... liz : )

 
On May 4, 2009 at 7:45 AM , Kami said...

Everything turned out lovely, I adore the old wood boxes that you found for your passport display! I think my favorite is the adorable dragonfly fabric that you used on the snap purse. But then I love the orange & pink dresses on the mini tote bag too. Great fabric choices and wonderful products, I am glad it turned out so well.

Kami

 
On May 4, 2009 at 7:58 AM , Nikki said...

Sandra.. I have a HUGE smile of my face for you! You took a chance on yourself, believed in yourself and what you make, and it paid off. Your stall was gorgeous, it was great to meet you and I can't wait to hear about what happens next... !!

 
On May 4, 2009 at 8:22 AM , danielle said...

oh well done sandra! sounds like you had a fantastic day- glad it was so successful, you put such a lot of work in...but gee- the stall looked great!

congrats again!!

 
On May 4, 2009 at 9:33 AM , Karin said...

Hey Sandra! Sounds like you had an awesome time and congratulations on all the sales you made. Your stall looked amazing. I love the little price signs and the little stack of boxes to hold up your passport covers. So simple yet really pretty! Bummer I couldn't make it but from the sounds of it, you'll have another stall soon!

 
On May 4, 2009 at 9:55 AM , A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

A very attractive stall! Love the professional signs you have made. Glad to hear it was a great success.

 
On May 4, 2009 at 10:24 AM , Cathie said...

Hi Sandra,
Wow, your stuff is amazing!
Unfortunately didn't get a chance to do the rounds on Saturday but I did chat to you not realising who you were. Great to hear you had a good day x

 
On May 4, 2009 at 10:41 AM , Sew Useful Designs said...

Good morning lovely lady! I'm not a true Aussie, but I've just got to say:

"ON YA!!!!" :-)

Congratulations!!!... I think we all knew it was going to be a success, coz that's just the kind of gal you are! :-)

Is that you in the photo sweetie, or your lovely Sharon? I'd love to put a name to a face!

Lots of love!
Vikki x

 
On May 4, 2009 at 11:09 AM , flickettysplits said...

I concur, Sandra - what a huge success! It was obvious you were going to rock it from the moment that floorboard table went up. Am so glad you had a good day!

 
On May 4, 2009 at 12:15 PM , Cathy said...

Well done Sandra - your stall looked amazing!! Your hand made things were just beautiful and so well presented - you have come such a long way in such a short time - I just love the table that Sharon made - you are two are way too clever. Your signage looked so impressive as well - I would love to give you a big hug - you are such a success! Can't wait to see what is in store next for you! I am so lucky to own one of your original notebook covers - thanks

 
On May 4, 2009 at 12:25 PM , Anonymous said...

I am sooooo happy it went well for you Sandra sounds like you were a hit!! Wish I could of come to visit too!!!!

 
On May 4, 2009 at 12:43 PM , Jo said...

Oh well done!!!, glad to hear it all went so well. Your stuff looks fabulous!!!!!

 
On May 4, 2009 at 6:06 PM , Tania said...

Woohoo! Can imagine the adrenaline surge with the confirmation that people love the stuff you love making. Keep on stitchin'...

 
On May 4, 2009 at 6:39 PM , Liz said...

Well done on what sounds like a super day, keep on sewing girl!!

 
On May 4, 2009 at 8:53 PM , Jacinta said...

Congratulations Sandra on your success. The display was fantastic - you (and Sharon) did an amazing job.
I love my new notebook cover and snap pouch. I just couldn't resist. Thank-you!

 
On May 4, 2009 at 9:14 PM , handmade said...

Wow - awesome - congratulations - it must be a wonderful feeling to have accomplished something so successfully! You're stall looks wonderful!

 
On May 4, 2009 at 9:19 PM , Louise said...

Well done! It all looked amazing and so very professional. It's so much fun hanging out with all those crafty girls isn't it. And aren't you lucky to have such a wonderfully supportive partner!

 
On May 4, 2009 at 10:03 PM , Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I'm glad you had a roaring success! :)

 
On May 4, 2009 at 11:17 PM , Lou said...

I was admiring your things from across the way all day. No way I could tell it was your first market before you told me. Very profesh. Lovely to meet you.

 
On May 5, 2009 at 9:07 AM , Calidore said...

Yipee A sucessful day and stall. As if you couldn't do well. The stall layout looked amazing and your goodies - ohhh yumm. Well done.

 
On May 5, 2009 at 1:28 PM , Regina Moore said...

Sounds like you have a great day! Beautiful display!

 
On May 5, 2009 at 9:17 PM , Melinda @ Here We Go Loopy Lou said...

Wow, cannot wait until your Etsy shop opens tomorrow. I have my eye on your passport covers! Melinda.

 
On May 5, 2009 at 10:19 PM , Finki said...

I would never have guessed in a million years that it was your first stall. well done Sandra. Such a beautiful display, top quality products and you even found time to come and say hello. You were made for this I thinks. (: so nice to meet you, hope to see yah at the next one.

 
On May 6, 2009 at 3:23 AM , Bee Designs said...

I've just found your great blog via The Dotty One and I love it. Your stand looks fantastic, the table looked like it worked a treat.

 
On May 6, 2009 at 12:17 PM , Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

You did an amazing job for your first ever market. Your stuff is great and I'll definitely be getting myself a notebook cover sometime down the track.

 
On May 6, 2009 at 12:19 PM , Unknown said...

You make and sell lovely stuff, i wish I could come to one of your stalls.

 
On May 6, 2009 at 2:38 PM , XUE said...

Good job Sandra! I would love to be there too! You had a good time & I wish you many more successful sales like these!